TERMINATOR THEME MUSIC (1984)
By Mark Nobes
The first two Terminator movies are definitely both in my top 5 favourite films list. The original 80s movie featured this haunting synth
theme tune by American composer Brad Fiedel. That distinctive mechanical drum beat
in the background, combined with a simple but very memorable melody, makes this a unforgettable piece of sci-fi music, and it's most definitely a classic, as is the film itself.
Arnold Schwarzenegger played the leading role as the Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 (T-800) Terminator - the cyborg sent back in time to assassinate Sarah Connor. Sarah has only one protector, Kyle Reese, who has also been sent from the future.
The first half of the soundtrack album (released by Enigma Records) was composed by Brad Fiedel, and the majority of the music in the film was actually performed live. Tracks 7 to 11 are by various artists.
So which is best - Terminator 1 or 2? It's a very close call, but I just prefer the second movie for its jaw-dropping, liquid metal special effects and faster-paced action. Robert Patrick as the shape-shifting T-1000 was perfectly cast, and scared the hell out of me!
Nonethless, the low-budget aesthetics of the first movie give it a certain charm and it has a distinctively 80s feel, and Arnie has a powerful screen presence - he was perfectly cast.
Track Listing (first release)
1. "The Terminator Theme" Brad Fiedel - 4:30
2. "Terminator Arrival" Fiedel - 3:00
3. "Tunnel Chase" Fiedel - 2:50
4. "Love Scene" Fiedel - 1:15
5. "Future Remembered" Fiedel - 2:40
6. "Factory Chase" Fiedel - 3:50
7. "You Can't Do That" (performed by Tahnee Cain & Tryanglz) Ricky Phillips - 3:25
8. "Burnin' in the Third Degree" (performed by Tahnee Cain & Tryanglz) T. Cain, Mugs Cain, Dave Amato, Brett Tuggle, Phillips - 3:38
9. "Pictures of You" (performed by Jay Ferguson & 16mm) Jay Ferguson - 3:58
10. "Photoplay" (performed by Tahnee Cain & Tryanglz) T. Cain, Pug Baker, Jonathan Cain - 3:30
11. "Intimacy" (performed by Lin Van Hek) - 3:40